Manager, Operations Centre
John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport Limited is a rapidly growing international gateway for affordable travel, and the largest overnight express freight airport in Canada.
John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is a rapidly growing international gateway for affordable travel as well as being recognized as the largest overnight express freight airport in Canada. In 2019, the airport served 955,373 passengers, a year-over-year increase of 32%. The Airport is owned by the City of Hamilton and managed under an agreement by TradePort International Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Vantage Airport Group – an industry leading investor, developer and manager of airport assets. This allows Hamilton International to incorporate best-in-class practices from around the world into its operations. As an efficient facilitator of cargo and passenger operations, John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is an economic engine and responsible community partner. Its strategic location and uncongested 24/7 operations make it an attractive option for both passenger and cargo carriers looking to serve the Southern Ontario market.
This position is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the Airport Operations Centre, inclusive of the day-to-day operation of the Airport as well as the long-term planning initiatives that support the Airport’s business objectives. The successful candidate has a strong regulatory and SMS background, with the ability to recommend, develop and implement programs, policies and procedures, in accordance with Transport Canada regulations for Canadian Aviation Regulations, as well as Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, with accountability for providing guidance and leadership to staff who are responsible for the maintenance of regulatory programs.
In this role, you will directly supervise and coordinate the work of the Operations Centre team consisting of Coordinators (Duty Managers) and Security staff. As a key relationship-builder for day-to-day matters related to Partner Tenants, this position will also look to satisfy the needs of partners including air operators, commercial tenants, and governmental agencies, while maintaining a customer service focus within the Operations team, tied to the Vision and Mission of Hamilton International Airport.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Regulatory, Safety, and Security
- Provide regular, timely reporting on results, issues, and plans to the Executive, taking necessary actions to address issues as they arise that would affect the Airport’s ability to maintain the Airport Operating Certificate, or to maintain a healthy, safe, and secure workplace and operating environment
- Ensure that the Airport operates safely and efficiently, complying with all regulations and policies, Transport Canada audits, as well as contractual obligations, while applying modern best practices in airport management
- Provide leadership and oversight for the Airport’s Operations Centre including Security/Aerodrome personnel
- Directly manage and lead Staff associated with regulatory programs as well as noise abatement, community outreach and wildlife programs
- Develop, implement and maintain operational policies and procedures for emergency response, airfield maintenance and security and terminal operations to ensure that regulatory/business compliance is maintained while ensuring the safe, secure and efficient operation of the Airport and its facilities.
- Champion the Airport-wide use of Safety Management Systems through presentations, campaigns, and awareness activities
- Provide decision support to direct reports on annual business planning, budget and forecast management and spending decisions, while ensuring alignment between Operations and Finance with respect to financial commitments and cost controls/reporting requirements
- Ensure direct reports complete accurate forecast to budget variance analysis schedules
- Ensure day-to-day operations are being conducted in accordance with established processes and procedures, following up on inconsistencies or deviations in performance/outcomes
- Responsible to provide direction in preventative maintenance programs and customer service programs
- Provide operational support to Airside and Terminal Operations outside of regular business hours including emergency response and winter operations support
- Use a Management Systems approach to all aspects of Operations’ activities
- Provides incident leadership and applies incident command practices, as needed; based on circumstances, escalates emergency response to an Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- Ensures that quality assurance is achieved in all daily operational programs including Safety Management System
- Acts as the sponsor for a quality assurance peer review of all regulated documents
- Ensures the Operations Centre has all of the operational resources and documentation required i.e.SOPs
- Ensure staff has appropriate training in standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Review of daily log, worksheets, Terminal/Groundside incidents
- Ensures operational decisions are being documented/recorded
- Coordinates between the different departments and Airport partners to ensure information is dispersed
- Ensures regulatory compliance during operations
- Ensures adherence to Airport safety policies and practices for employees
- Ensure that the overall Airport facility is kept clean, safe and secure
- Monitor and identify gaps/issues with day-to-day operations and collaborate with department functional managers to improve SOPs and services
- Monitor airport status board, weather and data feeds (IIDS, PASSUR etc.) and provide feedback to AOC team and airport partners
- Responsible to provide direction in preventative maintenance programs and customer service programs.
- Provide operational support to Airside and Terminal Operations outside of regular business hours including emergency response and winter operations support.
General Supervisory Functions:
- Responsible for complying with and enforcing the policies of the Corporation with respect to rules, acts, regulations, by-laws, procedures and safe working practices.
- Participate in labour relations matters by attending grievance meetings as required and ensuring that Coordinators, Supervisors and Managers are adhering to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Provide overall leadership to staff, promoting and maintaining strong employee morale; establish high expectations for staff with regard to the Airport’s Corporate Values – Safety & Security, Quality & Operational Excellence, Respect & Integrity, Improvement & Innovation, Teamwork & Recognition
Authority: Operations Coordinators and Security Officers
You have a minimum of (10) years management experience in an operational environment with a focus on providing aviation regulation operational excellence and exceptional customer service, in an airport or airline environment. You have a proven track record for achieving results, influencing change, and being an effective and proactive team-builder in a customer-focused, fast-paced, and rapidly growing environment. You are detailed-oriented and can make quick and knowledgeable on-the-spot decisions as they relate to complex operational matters, that often involve many functional areas of the Airport.
Additionally, you have:
- A Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Airport Operations Management or related studies, or a combination of education and experience in an airport operating environment, managing direct reports.
- Exceptional working knowledge of CARs, TP312, TP1247, CASRs, CASMs and SMS
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including technical report writing, and creating and delivering presentations for both staff and management or executive audiences.
- Proven organizational skills in complex operational environment.
- Demonstrated ability to maximize performance through coaching, while also fostering a spirit of teamwork and cooperation among staff.
- Experience in a unionized environment an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to influence, collaborate and negotiate with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office computer software applications; must be able to compile and analyze statistics using databases.
- Ability to critically assess data and reports and effectively utilize information to problem solve and conduct root cause analysis to support continuous improvement.
- Holds or has the ability to obtain and maintain the appropriate level of Airport Security Clearance, aeronautical radio license and an Airside Vehicle Operators Permit (AVOP).
- Minimum ‘G’ class driver’s license.
Reporting Relationship: Director, Finance, Operations and Corporate Administration
Note: The preceding information is intended to be representative of the work performed by incumbents in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
What We Offer:
As an employee of Hamilton International Airport, you will enjoy a competitive Total Rewards package that includes a competitive base salary and bonus structure, and a rich health benefits and pension plan. In addition to enjoying many other employee perks such as Leadership Development Workshops, Employee Appreciation Events and various Holiday celebrations, in your quest to further develop your career, you will also have access to a global team of talented professionals, where you can find opportunities to make your mark. Giving back to our Community is also a priority for Hamilton International Airport!
We look forward to hearing from you and welcome you to apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to our HR department at email@example.com.
We thank you for your interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.