John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is a growing international gateway for affordable travel and the largest overnight express freight airport in Canada. The Airport is owned by the City of Hamilton and managed under an agreement by TradePort International Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Vantage Airport Group – an industry leading investor, developer, and manager of airport assets. This allows Hamilton International to incorporate best-in-class practices from around the world into its operations. As an efficient facilitator of cargo and passenger operations, John C. Munro Hamilton International is an economic engine and responsible community partner. Its strategic location and uncongested 24/7 operations make it an attractive option for both passenger and cargo carriers looking to serve the Southern Ontario market.
Hamilton International Airport is now recruiting for one full time Security Officer to join our team. The Security Officer is responsible for providing security, parking, and operational support at the Airport.
This is a union position reporting to the Manager, Operations Centre, and will normally work a 40-hour work week. The individual must be willing and able to work all shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays. This position rotates through shifts, 7 days per week, including holidays, on a rotating 12-hour shift schedule.
The starting rate for this position is $16.86 per hour. After probation (6 months) the rate increases to $21.08 per hour.
Based on recent mandates and directives from the Federal Government, Airport employees are now required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. If successful to this position, the candidate will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination prior to the start date as a condition of employment. In the event that the successful candidate is unable to be vaccinated as a result of a medical or religious exemption, they will be required to submit supporting documentation to determine if they are exempt per the Airport’s policy.
Key Qualifications and Desired Skills:
- Minimum grade 12 graduation.
- Law and Security Administration Diploma or equivalent would be an asset.
- Must possess valid Ontario Driver’s License with G-Class qualifications.
- Possess or able to obtain a license for Restricted Operator Certificate with Aeronautical Qualification (ROC-A).
- Must have or can obtain Restricted Area Clearance (Transportation Security Clearance) and appropriate Airport Vehicle Operators Permit (AVOP).
- Must be able to use simple arithmetic and complete reports or logs.
- Must be able to effectively understand and follow directions, both oral and written; verbal and non-verbal communication skills are required.
- Must be able to work (occasionally) in extremely adverse conditions.
- Control, monitor and provide temporary Restricted Area Passes.
- Control and monitor access to restricted areas.
- Monitor and record operation of passenger security screening.
- Provide information to employees and public through telephone and counter response.
- Co-ordinate all-hours calls and response of Airport Duty Personnel.
- Provide assistance to airport tenants for security and operations related matters.
- Monitor and perform patrol duties in all areas of the ATB, the main apron, public parking and roadways, employee parking etc.
- Respond to airport related emergency situations on the airport.
- Perform escorting duties.
- Perform testing and minor maintenance of security systems.
- Complete and forward reports.
- Enforce “Aerodrome Security Regulations”, “Aerodrome Traffic Regulations”, “Canadian Aviation Security Regulations” and relevant by-laws respecting Hamilton International Airport.
- Assist with training/testing of airport personnel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Note: The preceding information is intended to be representative of the work performed by incumbents in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
NOTE: Individual must be willing and able to work all shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays. This position rotates through shifts, 7 days per week, including holidays
Reporting Relationship: Manager, Operations Centre and/or on-duty Shift Manager
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, May 31, 2022.
Hamilton International Airport is committed to meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner, consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, equal opportunity, and integration. Hamilton International is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse workforce. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities will be provided by contacting Human Resources.