Coordinator, SMS & Regulatory Compliance
John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport Limited is a rapidly growing international gateway for affordable travel, and the largest overnight express freight airport in Canada.
John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is a rapidly growing international gateway for affordable travel as well as being recognized as the largest overnight express freight airport in Canada. In 2019, the airport served 955,373 passengers, a year-over-year increase of 32%. The Airport is owned by the City of Hamilton and managed under an agreement by TradePort International Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Vantage Airport Group – an industry leading investor, developer and manager of airport assets. This allows Hamilton International to incorporate best-in-class practices from around the world into its operations. As an efficient facilitator of cargo and passenger operations, John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is an economic engine and responsible community partner. Its strategic location and uncongested 24/7 operations make it an attractive option for both passenger and cargo carriers looking to serve the Southern Ontario market.
The Coordinator, SMS & Regulatory Compliance is accountable for the day-to-day management of the Airport’s Safety Management System and plays a liaison role from the Airport’s SMS program to the Occupational Health & Safety program. This role will recommend, develop, implement, and monitor corporate Health and Safety policies and safe operating procedures, and will ensure the Airport is compliant with all applicable legislation.
This role is accountable for the regulatory compliance of Canadian Aviation Regulation (“CARs”) programs and activities to support safe and efficient aviation operations while maintaining the integrity of the Airport’s operating certificate. This is achieved via conformance of all airside programs (such as apron management and procedural support, FOD program, AOM and ERP) and their associate activities to the Canadian Aviation Regulations.
This role can also act as an Operations Coordinator, which is responsible for the performance of the operations department and airport operations on an assigned shift. This role provides management and oversight for the on-duty airport maintenance team, fire crew, and security staff. While on shift, this role will serve as the principal operations management representative during emergency, weather and special events.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Post-secondary education with a Certificate or Diploma in Aviation Safety, or relevant airport experience would be considered an asset
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in airport safety operations, airline safety operations, or other related fields of airport management
- Expert knowledge of Safety Management Systems and Risk Assessment process
- Root cause analysis training and process engineering skills are required
- Strong decision-making skills with the ability to make critical decisions in a short time frame
- Excellent, effective communication skills, both oral and in written format
- Superior interpersonal skills, able to interact with all levels in a professional, positive manner, able to build trusting relationships and be a team player
- Superior knowledge and understanding of CARs
- Knowledge and understanding of TP 312 (Aerodrome and Recommended Practices) 4th and 5th Edition, and CASRs (Canadian Aviation Security Regulations)
- Ability to interpret legislative information from Transport Canada Advisory Circulars and other technical data
- The ideal candidate will be an energetic self-starter, motivated, independent thinker, with the ability to work independently or within a team-oriented environment
- Responsible for providing information and advice to senior management and to the Accountable Executive on matters relating to safe operations.
- Proficient in business computer applications (e.g. Microsoft Office suite of products); must be able to compile and analyze statistics using databases
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety legislations and the Canada Labour Code, Part II
- Must be able to obtain and maintain appropriate level of Airport Security Clearance.
- Must hold valid class “G” driver’s license.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an aeronautical radio license and an Airside Vehicle Operators Permit (AVOP)
For a comprehensive list of functions, click here for the full job profile.
What We Offer:
As an employee of Hamilton International Airport, you will enjoy a competitive Total Rewards package that includes a competitive base salary and bonus structure, and a rich health benefits and pension plan. In addition to enjoying many other employee perks such as Leadership Development Workshops, Employee Appreciation Events and various Holiday celebrations, in your quest to further develop your career, you will also have access to a global team of talented professionals, where you can find opportunities to make your mark. Giving back to our Community is also a priority for Hamilton International Airport!
We look forward to hearing from you and welcome you to apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to our HR department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank you for your interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.