The Airport is owned by the City of Hamilton and managed under an agreement by TradePort International Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Vantage Airport Group – an industry leading investor, developer, and manager of airport assets. This allows Hamilton International to incorporate best-in-class practices from around the world into its operations. As an efficient facilitator of cargo and passenger operations, John C. Munro Hamilton International is an economic engine and responsible community partner. Its strategic location and uncongested 24/7 operations make it an attractive option for both passenger and cargo carriers looking to serve the Southern Ontario market.
As a member of the Airport’s Executive team, reporting directly to the Executive Managing Director, and indirectly to the Director, Business Development & Marketing – Vantage Canadian Network, this position will support the development of Hamilton International Airport’s Marketing, Communications and Customer Service plans and ensure the execution of these plans. This will include developing and implementing marketing campaigns, aligned to the annual business plans to promote Hamilton International and its air carrier partners, completing market research studies, and analyzing their findings to guide future actions. This role is also responsible for creating a holistic customer service experience to both passengers and Airport partners and making it an intrinsic part of the company’s vision, values and culture.
Key Qualifications and Desired Skills:
You have ten + years of professional experience, with a minimum of five years in senior-level management experience in an area such as marketing, communications, government relations, public relations, business development or community relations, in addition to five + years experience working for an Airport Authority. You have a proven track record for achieving results, influencing change, and being an effective and proactive team-builder in a customer-focused, fast-paced, and rapidly growing environment. You are detailed-oriented and can make quick and knowledgeable on-the-spot decisions as they relate to critical and time-sensitive media responses for the Airport.
Additionally, you have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in commerce, communications, marketing, or equivalent related field (MBA is considered a strong asset)
- Effective oral and written communication skills, and creating and delivering presentations for both staff and management or executive audiences
- Exceptional organizational skills to manage complex, diverse responsibilities and competing priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment
- Demonstrated ability to maximize performance through coaching, while also fostering a spirit of teamwork and cooperation among staff
- An agile team player capable of working effectively with a variety of people and maintaining relationships with external and internal stakeholders.
- Political and interpersonal savvy, with the capacity to establish credibility and nurture a broad range of relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Flexibility and personality to interact with all stakeholders and customers, ranging from operational staff to data analysts to business leaders in Hamilton or the aviation industry
- Highly developed time management skills and the ability to manage multiple assignments with competing deadlines along with a proven track record for achieving results, influencing change, and acting as a major catalyst in a customer-focused, fast paced complex environment
- Experience utilizing traditional and non-traditional methods of marketing and communications
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs is required
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to analyze data and develop relevant business cases combined with a high degree of attention to detail
- Strong understanding of the aviation industry is an asset
- Holds or can obtain and maintain the appropriate level of Airport Security Clearance
Must be available to work flexible hours and will require occasional travel locally and within North America
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Execute the corporate marketing and branding strategy for Hamilton International, including public relations and communication strategies
- Lead and manage the Airport’s Customer Service Strategy, including its products and services, ensuring every aspect of our complex airport facilitation system consistently meets the needs of our passengers, “operationalizing” the passenger experience.
- Promote and build the brand of Hamilton International
Marketing and Communications
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive public relations strategy to inform government agencies, business partners, employees, potential consumers, and the general public of the benefits that Hamilton International brings to the local and regional community
- Act as the lead public official to coordinate response to inquiries from government officials, media, and the public
- Prepare the designated Company spokespeople for speaking engagements through media training and ongoing review exercises
- Support development of and execute the Airport’s Marketing and Communications Plan
- Manage the activities, including development, management and implementation of the Airport’s social media, marketing engagement
- Create, manage, and implement terminal-related non-aeronautical revenue opportunities
- Provide promotional and marketing support to air carriers and act as coordinator for targeted air service marketing initiatives at YHM.
- Analyze key stakeholder requirements and search for marketing and sales opportunities
- Manage market analysis, initiative planning, coordination, and implementation
- Develop recommendations for the Executive Team
- Oversee and aid in the coordination and production of internal communications channels including briefings/bulletins, internal communication pieces and staff memos as needed
- Design and implement new opportunities to build community awareness of Airport related activities including support of community events and sponsorships
- Develop and implement effective solutions to improve and ensure the sustainability of the terminal facility including:
- Performance, aesthetics, reliability, passenger communication, facilitation, and overall experience
- Establish, manage, and maintain good relationships with representatives of the aviation industry and stakeholder groups, including airlines, air cargo operators, travel agents, tourism and economic development agencies, all levels of government (federal, provincial, municipal), consumer groups and the airport business community
- Maintain strong relationships with key business partners including airlines, CBSA, vendors and concessionaries to ensure excellent communication and resolution of operating issues
- Develop new commercial opportunities to enhance non-aeronautical revenues from potential customers, developers, tenants, and other groups for planning projects
- Recommend new, different, and/or non-traditional commercial approaches as required to continually improve the overall level of services offered to the traveling public and other users of the Airport
- Create, develop, and manage terminal-related, non-aeronautical revenue streams. Recommend methods of optimizing terminal-related, non-aeronautical revenue streams
- Prepare business case analysis to support capital investment and new programs for the Terminal and Groundside operations.
- Oversee commercial contract negotiations with air carriers, concessionaires, and suppliers to ensure that they are mutually beneficial and economical
- Collaborate with Vantage Business Development to support expanding passenger air carrier services at the Airport including facilitating business links in the local community for potential carriers
- Research, analyze data and assess information to promote Hamilton International Airport as a preferred gateway for passenger airlines
Budgeting and Financial Reporting
- Ensure the completion of annual budgets and maintain effective control over departmental expenses and revenues
- Ensure the completion of monthly updates and forecast expenditures
- Provide revenue input for future Airport Master Plans
- Curate and maintain a holistic user, business, commercial, technology, and innovative appropriate experience while applying modern best practices in airport management
- Provide input to the preparation of a long-term strategic plan as well as an annual business plan for Hamilton International, meeting specific performance objectives
- Contribute to the development of the Airport’s Corporate Social Responsibility policy, implement, and monitor the performance objectives
- Provide regular, timely reporting on results, issues, and plans to the Executive Team and take the necessary actions to address issues as they arise
- Collaborate with Operations to ensure safe and efficient facilitation and maintain compliance with all regulations, policies, and obligations
- Ensure that safe working practices and safety regulations are adhered to under the terms of the Canada Labour Code, Part II.
- Attend training courses and seminars to remain current in required fields of study.
Reporting Relationship: Executive Managing Director
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 31, 2022.
Hamilton International Airport is committed to meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner, consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, equal opportunity, and integration. Hamilton International is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse workforce. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities will be provided by contacting Human Resources.