The Operations Coordinator (Duty Manager) role is responsible for the performance of the operations department and airport operations on assigned shift. This role provides management and oversight for the on-duty airport maintenance team, fire crew, and security staff. While on shift, this role will serve as the principal operations management representative during emergency, weather and special events.
NOTE: Individual must be willing and able to work all shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays. This position rotates through shifts, 7 days per week, including holidays (rotating 10.5 hour shifts)
John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is a rapidly growing international gateway for affordable travel and the largest overnight express freight airport in Canada. In 2018, the Airport served 725,630 passengers, a year-over-year increase of 21%. The Airport is owned by the City of Hamilton and managed under an agreement by TradePort International Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Vantage Airport Group – an industry leading investor, developer and manager of airport assets. This allows Hamilton International to incorporate best-in-class practices from around the world into its operations. As an efficient facilitator of cargo and passenger operations, John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is an economic engine and responsible community partner. Its strategic location and uncongested 24/7 operations make it an attractive option for both passenger and cargo carriers looking to serve the Southern Ontario market.
Key Qualifications and Desired Skills:
- Post-secondary education with a Certificate or Diploma in Aviation Management, or relevant airport experience
- Experience in airport operations, airline operations, or other related fields of airport management
- Knowledge of CARs, TP 312 and CASRs
- Superior interpersonal skills, able to interact with all levels in a professional, positive manner, able to build trusting relationships and be a team player
- Excellent, effective communication skills, both oral and in written format
- Strong decision-making skills and effective at problem solving
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Ability to multi-task, manage and meet deadlines, adapt easily to change
- Work towards implementation of the 5-year Operations Strategy Plan, which supports growth and strives for operational excellence at Hamilton International by providing a safe operating environment, exceptional flow of passengers and planes, and providing adequate levels of service for the Airport’s customers
- Update flight schedules based on communications with airline partners
- Conduct and provide oversight to determine most efficient facilitation/allocation for gate, check-in counter, and baggage allocations based on flight schedules
- Central point of contact for the Airport’s IFIDS System (Flight and Baggage) and provide on-going oversight of systems to ensure smooth passenger communication and flow
- Maintain Common-Use System (CUT) stock/inventory order requests as received
- Responsible for all aspects of safety, security, and irregular operations (IRROPS) of activities within the ATB
- Make immediate decisions necessary to ensure the continued safe operation of Hamilton International Airport with intent to eliminate or mitigate operational delays, and/or negative impacts to customers, tenants and airlines through active management of resources, plans, SOPs and programs at Hamilton International Airport
- Provide direct supervision of assigned shift personnel by communicating performance expectations, monitor work activities, and training personnel and resolving employee conflicts
- Issuing, extending and cancelling NOTAMs as required
- Inspect passenger terminal facilities, floors, washrooms, garbage bins and windows to ensure clean and professional airport facilities
- Monitor terminal operations to ensure the appropriate movement of passengers through the facilities, beginning from groundside to aircraft boarding, responding to any required significant passenger event
- Monitor and manage compliance with Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs), Aerodrome Security Measures, and tenant security responsibilities
- Prepared detailed reports of daily operations, unusual incidents / accidents, hazardous conditions and inspections
For a full list of duties and responsibilities, click here for the full job description.
What We Offer:
As an employee of Hamilton International Airport, you will enjoy a competitive Total Rewards package that includes a competitive base salary and bonus structure, and a rich health benefits and pension plan. In addition to enjoying many other employee perks such as Leadership Development Workshops, Employee Appreciation Events and various Holiday celebrations, in your quest to further develop your career, you will also have access to a global team of talented professionals, where you can find opportunities to make your mark. Giving back to our Community is also a priority for Hamilton International Airport!
Note: The preceding information is intended to be representative of the work performed by incumbents in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.